Warning: this banana bread recipe might just blow your mind. When you have over-ripe bananas in your kitchen, then you know it’s Banana Bread time!
What’s more, you can customize this banana bread recipe and make it your own. Do you feel like having a sweet treat and adding some chocolate chips? Or maybe blueberries, pecans, or espresso powder instead? The options are endless.
Simply create the base and get creative with the add-ins.
Bananas have become a staple in our kitchens. They provide us with a quick source of energy, have high levels of potassium, and are probiotic; meaning they are beneficial for our gut flora.
They are also an excellent addition to many baking adventures!
What I love about this banana bread recipe is that the ingredients are as close to being healthy as one can get. No refined white flour but oats instead. No cane sugar but maple syrup instead.
Of course, if this is still too sweet for you then do feel free to reduce the amount next time.
And of course – cinnamon. My favourite spice of all time. It helps with stabilizing blood sugar levels, smells amazing and is loaded with powerful antioxidants.
And if you’re like me and loooove cinnamon then add a full teaspoon of it to this banana bread recipe. Be rebellious.
Banana bread recipe
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup butter (melted & cooled) or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1) Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2) In a large bowl mix together the mashed bananas, eggs, maple syrup, greek yogurt and vanilla extract until well combined.
3) Whisk together the dry ingredients, add them to the wet ones and mix until well combined. Do not overmix!
4) Next, mix in the melted and cooled butter (or coconut oil). At this point you can fold in your add-ins.
5) Add banana bread batter into prepared pan.
6) Optional but not required: split a banana down the middle, vertically, and then add on top of the batter. Alternatively, add banana slices on top, side by side.
7) Bake for 50 - 60 minutes.
1/2 cup chopped walnuts + 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans + 1/2 shredded coconut
1 teaspoon espresso powder + 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
You May Also Like: